Girls U14 Division 1 Grand Final Match Report
What a fantastic game of football by the girls in the Grand Final !!!
Against a very good side in Blackwood, on the beautiful playing surface of Alberton Oval, in wet, cold, tough conditions, I thought the girls played awesome !!
Could not have been prouder in the way they approached the game, the mature way they handled themselves through out the game and the character they showed in working hard to win and be crowned the Best U14 Girls side in the SANFL.
Final scores were Henley 5.7 37pts to Blackwood 0.0 0 pts.
Goal Kickers were Marlie Fiegert, Chloe Whitington-Charity, Jemma Charlesworth, Tayla Dawkins and Jemma Whitington-Charity all with 1 goal each.
The Girls all season long have done really well to ‘flick the switch’ and focus in at the start of each game, I could tell and see during the build up to the Grand Final game in the change rooms, that they were focused on doing well.
We spoke about just playing our roles and making sure we worked hard and never to give up in every contest we could.
With the weather making it a real slogfest, I thought the girls worked extremely hard all game and handled the slippery ball better for all 4x quarters.
We found ourselves stuck out in the one pocket for a lot of the first quarter, trying to bring it back in to the wind and gain a better scoring opportunity.
The girls fought really hard to keep winning the ball back and although we had a lot more of the ball in that first quarter than Blackwood, we just couldn’t capitalise on our good work in front of goals.
The second quarter started to open up a bit more for us, we started to get our run and carry going and began to start playing our Sharks type football.
I really liked the work rate from the girls in this quarter as they were really pushing up to the next contest to help their team mates and we started to move the ball much quicker and cleaner.
With the score being only 2.3 at the halftime break, I really asked the girls for a massive 3rd quarter, the premiership quarter.
We had Blackwood on the ropes and we needed to have a good strong quarter to help make it really tough for them to come back from.
I thought the girls showed in the 3rd quarter just how good they are, by playing an excellent brand of team football, working in numbers, supporting each other with their voices, shepherds, blocks, everything.
They took their game to another level.
When I called them in ready to start the 4th quarter, I could see in their eyes just how hungry and excited they were to go out and play that last quarter.
The energy was up, they were all playing such good football and after each goal was kicked the excitement kept building ready for that Final siren to sound.
They thoroughly deserved their Premiership win, they have not lost a game all year and watching them play in that Grand Final at that skill level they showed, was a perfect finish to a perfect season !!!
As a coach it so rewarding to see your players grow not only as football players but as individuals through out a long season.
As I said to the girls at the Grand Final, they are very special group, they work and help each other exactly like a Premiership Team should.
I have totally enjoyed our season and have had so many laughs with this bunch at trainings, game days and have learnt a lot back from them.
Some of the girly gossip, social media stuff they can keep, I can’t even imagine how many selfies and tik tok video’s have been recorded and taken over the season !!
But that is what makes them such a good group, they have built stronger friendships, learnt more about themselves and all whilst playing football for the Sharks Football Club.
A big Thank you again to everyone that has helped this group of girls have such a successful season.
It does make a big difference when we have parents all chipping in and helping the team out as you all do.
It is very much appreciated by me and the Football Club.
We have a few more events coming up to finish of our season off and it would be great to have as many as we did back at the club after our Premiership win !!
2019 Henley Best & Fairest Medal Count Night – All grades from U11’s up to U16.5’s
– This Friday 30th August at the Henley Football Club.
– The count starts at 6pm sharp, so get there early to get a good spot at the club.
– We will be auctioning off lots of awesome prizes so bring some extra cash/credit cards !!
2019 SANFL Juniors Parade of Champions
– This Saturday 31st August at the Adelaide Oval.
– We are required to meet at 3.20pm outside the Northern Gates of Adelaide Oval.
– As a special bonus you will be allowed to attend a ’Super Clinic” on Adelaide Oval from 6pm-6.20pm in between the SANFL League Elimination and Qualifying Finals
– Sam Blades will have FREE tickets to the Grand Final Parade to give out this Friday night at the Medal Count for those Adults keen to go along, the U18’s get in for FREE.
– Please the attached letter with more information.
– Can you let me know if you are unable to attend this please.
2019 Henley Girls U14’s Presentation day/night – This is still to be confirmed and I will let you know as soon as I get a confirmation. ( Should be in the next few weeks )
Just a couple more housekeeping things :
– We need all club guernseys back if not all ready handed in, to return back to the club by this Friday 30th August.
– Any problems with this please let me know.
– I would also like all players to sign 2x footballs from our Grand Final day this Friday Night at the Medal Count or if unable then by our Presentation night/day.
– See me or Sam Blades and any problems with this please let us know.
Really looking forward to finishing the season off with a few more great events to celebrate and show off the good work the girls have done over this season.
Starting this Friday night !!
See and speak to you all soon.